Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Kale Pesto Obsession Leads to Vegan Kale Pesto Creation

I have been obsessed with kale pesto lately.  It has 4 of my top 5 spring into spring detox foods as ingredients and it goes with everything.  Not to mention that everyone who tries it, asks me for the recipe.

Well, lately I have been having some trouble with dairy (even with enzymes) and have committed to cutting it out for a while to see what kind of results might come about.  Unfortunately, it also means that I have to give up parmesan cheese, a key ingredient of the kale pesto that I have been so crazy about.
I am finding out that desperation can be an excellent catalyst for creativity. You'll find below a recipe for kale pesto substituting garbonzo beans and tahini for the parmesan.  And, I gotta tell you, it tastes pretty darn good.  I had it over gluten-free pasta with baby zuchini and broccoli.  Plus it has tons of fiber and nutrition!

Try it and see what you think....

Non-dairy (vegan) kale pesto:

Ingredients:
1 15 oz. can of garbonzo beans (chick peas)
1/4 cup cilantro - roughly chopped
1/4 cup parsley - roughly chopped
1 cup basil - roughly chopped
2 cups curly kale - roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic - chopped
3 Tablespoons of tahini
4 Tablespoons of olive oil
3 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Celtic sea salt to taste

Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor and process/blend until smooth.
Try it as a sandwich spread, over cooked whole grains or pasta, or as a dip for crackers and raw veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment